Tofu is incredibly versatile. This version is sweet and savory. It requires just a couple of ingredients and is ultra quick, quite healthy, & is sans all the chemical bullshit found in store bought prepackaged sauces & excess oil found in Chinese take out. I threw in some lightly sauteed broccoli for some veggie points. While I used tofu, i’m sure chicken would work just as well. Serve with some rice & happy days, dinner is ready.
Honey Sesame Tofu
serves 1, can easily be doubled/tripled/etc
1/2 package of firm tofu, drained, water pressed out, cut into 1 inch cubes
2-3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup broccoli florets, washed & trimmed
5 tablespoons Tamari (regular soy can also be used, tamari is just smoother)
2.5 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons of sriracha or red chili flakes (optional)
1-2 teaspoons of sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Dredge tofu in cornstarch until fully coated on each side. Place tofu pieces in a hot non stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Cook til browned and crispy on each side about 12 minutes total.
- Add in broccoli floret and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Whisk together Tamari, Honey, Sesame oil, & red chili flakes. Pour mixture over tofu and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Let mixture reduce down until thick and sauce is slightly crispy on tofu edges. About 5-6 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a bowl over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Eat, smile, & know that tofu doesn’t have to suck.
Nutrition | per: entire recipe | cals: 351.7 | fat: 15g | fiber: 10.5 g| protein: 36 g |